I am beyond pleased to tell you that my BFF checked with her family and it's ok to share the pastry recipe with you. I feel honoured that I am able to honour the memory of a wonderful lady by posting one of her recipes. The one request her family made was that it continue to be known as “Aunty Thel's biscuit pastry”.
You will need
- 1 cup SR flour (I use white wings/freefrom GF flour)
- ½ cup icing sugar (I used raw sugar and it worked, or you can wizz it in your TM... before putting other ingredients in)
- ¼ cup corn flour (Be sure to use maize corn flour not “wheaten cornflour” which is made of wheat)
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbs marg (butter works too)
- 1 egg
- Sift dry ingredients
- Rub in marg
- add well beaten egg and cut through with knife
- knead in bowl
- roll out as required (Its yummy raw)
- bake in moderate oven til golden brown (approx ½ hour)
THERMO method (I used a double mix so that there was enough for a crust and lid... it all fit)
- pop dry ingredients into TM bowl, turn the dial to closed lid position
- press turbo for 2 seconds to sive the dry ingredients.
- Weigh in the butter- 60g = 3 tbs, use speed 5, 5-10 seconds til mix looks like breadcrumbs
- Add egg, turn dial to closed lid position, press the knead button (Looks like wheat)
- knead till the dough comes together (I think mine took about 20 seconds)
- bake in moderate oven till golden brown.
I took this pastry (as an apple pie) to 9 friends, and we were quite full by the time dessert came out... and it was a hit. They liked it as much as we did. Yea!