Cleaning a Menstrual Cup

Each cup maker recommends something different for cleaning cups, some like the Keeper and its silicone twin, do not recommend boiling at all but a 1:9 ratio of vinegar to water. Others have different times for boiling, or recommend soaking in Milton or Hydrogen peroxide and water solution to sterilise. It can get a little confusing.

In my kit I have a mug that I either soak my cup in vinegar and water in or fill with water, stick my cup in and a saucer on top and heat in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Earlier this morning I read an article written by a genuine person (I assume) warning that cups were not hygienic because you are taking your cup out say at work or in a public bathroom and putting it back in with germy hands and for others as you are tipping blood down the sink.

I found the first argument surprising, because you would face a similar situation with changing a tampon. For that reason I like finding a little bathroom that includes a sink with the toilet. If not I would usually wash my hands before visiting the cubicle (as I did when changing a tampon). The body has an incredible ability to fight germs… what concerns me is that when wet, a tampon and pad start to leach the chemicals they contain – your skin is right there so its going straight into your body. Silicon however does not do this.

For the rare circumstance that I need to change at work, a small squeeze bottle like the one pictured is what I take with me and is enough to clean the cup without having to wash any blood down the sink. The blood from my cup goes straight into the toilet. I also check the toilet before leaving for “spills” as I am sure most women do. Once; I have had to flush the toilet a second time. At home, I use the same method, but wash my hands and cup in the basin IMG_0675[1] and ensure that both sink and toilet are spot free when I’m done.

Anion did not make tampons with the safe materials they used to make their pads for a simple reason… When researching women’s health, the owner found that surgeons were finding that regular tampon users have fluff embedded in their cervix.  I think the risks associated with most pads and tampons (especially the ones who are not honest about what they put in their products) are higher than the risks associated with cups. Anion is a safe choice but for me the landfill is an issue. In the end you need to make your own choice.

Judie

No comments:

Post a Comment